Sometimes in our profession you just have to laugh. There has been a recent change in how medical practices code injuries. In October of 2015, all medical practices went from ICD-9 coding to ICD-10 coding. This change was to improve the documentation and cause of injuries for better tracking. With these changes, we have started to see some very peculiar, funny medical codes.
Here is a list of some of the more unusual ICD-10 codes.
- Y92.146 – Swimming Pool of Prison as the occurrence of the external cause.
- Z63.1 – Problems in relationship with in-laws
- Y92.241 – Hurt at the Library
- W56.22 – Struck by Orca, initial encounter
- V91.07 – Burn due to water-skis on fire
- V91.35 – Hit or struck by falling object due to accident by canoe or kayak
- V97.33 – Sucked into jet engine
- R46.1 – Bizarre personal appearance
- W61,33 – Pecked by a chicken, initial encounter
- V95.43 – Spacecraft collision injuring occupant
So just know, the next time you get injured, yes they have a medical code for that!